Thursday, January 9, 2014

Abandoned Child

I've never quite figures out how I ended up down here.  I was born in Indianapolis, but my parents dragged me (kicking and screaming, I might add) to Chicago my senior year of High School.  10 years after that, they moved with no forwarding address.

I always get strange looks when I tell people that, but it's true.  Daddy had already moved down here ("here", by the way, is Greenville, South Carolina), and Mom and my sister Kristi were to follow the movers down a week or so later.  So after the house in Crystal Lake was all packed up, Mom and Kristi spent the night with me and my husband...we all got up the next morning to wave good-bye to them...and as they pulled away from the curb, I realized I didn't have a phone number.

"Wait!  Wait!  I don't have your number!"  I screamed, chasing the car down the road.

"We don't have one!" Mom called out the window, still waving.

"I don't have your address!"

"We don't have one of those either!  We'll get in touch when we get settled!"

They did, of course, get a phone number and an address.  It wasn't like they had taken off in an RV, planning to drive around the interstates for the rest of their lives.  It's just that their house wasn't finished, and the street wasn't named, so there was no address.  Or phone number.

It was very lonely, though, until I heard from them again, especially since I had no family left in Chicago. They had all left me, one by one.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I had my brother and sister-in-law's address and phone number in Indianapolis at that time either.

No wonder I get depressed frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment